Sweet Tears
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Sweet Tears! The world of elemental people where dreams really can come true!~

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Chat Corner
How to RP? EmptySat May 25, 2013 8:50 am by Lexi

» My life sucks (Tears)
How to RP? EmptyTue May 21, 2013 7:51 am by Lexi

» Rate Signatures
How to RP? EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:21 am by Deco

» Bye
How to RP? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 5:19 am by Lexi

» Deviantart
How to RP? EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 12:23 am by Tharu

» Faceclaims
How to RP? EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:50 pm by Deco

» We're all out of our minds, and I think I like it :: OPEN
How to RP? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 9:21 am by Nanime

» :: Nanime Motoharu ::
How to RP? EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 4:35 am by Nanime

» Rate Avatars
How to RP? EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 pm by Tharu

Team
Administrator;
~ RUBY
~ TEARS

Moderator;
Season
How to RP? Untitl86 SPRING~ The temperature is between 5 and 15 degrees celsius. There's almost no wind. It's often sunny, and warm.
AdBlock
How to RP? Adblock-chrome

A recommended app if you hate those advertisements around the forum. It's available for the most popular browsers, like chrome, Firefox and Opera

~©AdBlock belongs to their creator(s)
Banner
How to RP? 6ylaih

Size: 103 x 48. We would like to advertise our forum. In that case, you'll have to see this banner.
Code:
[url=http://sweettears.rpg-board.net/][img]http://oi45.tinypic.com/6ylaih.jpg[/img][/url]
Cool Forums!
Dutch forums
How to RP? Banner1bx
English

How to RP?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tears
Administrator
Tears

Your RPG character
Love: X
Element: Water

How to RP? Empty
PostSubject: How to RP?   How to RP? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 am

You came here and think: ‘well, this is very nice, but how do you RP? What’s an RPG?’ Well, in that case it’s good you came here! Here is a small guide about how to RP. This guide includes some tips. They are handy when you don’t have any inspiration, or when you just want to make your posts longer.

So, let’s start with what an RP actually is. RP stands for Role Play. This is actually a Forum Role Play, because you type the actions of your character, just like in a book. Still we call this a Role Play, or Role Playing Game (RPG). When Ruby burns a tree, I type: “Ruby burned a tree.”

But how do you RP? There are several existing methods to RP, but here we’ll do it the 3PaT and the 1PaT way.

The 3 in 3PaT stands for the third person, that means ‘he/she/it’. This means that the 1 in 1PaT means first person (‘I’). Because of this, nothing is wrong but the second person (‘you/we’). Of course, this is about your character, not the reader of the story.
Wrong: You burned a tree. You enjoyed it.
Right 1: I burned a tree. I enjoyed it.
Right 2: Ruby burned a tree. She enjoyed it.
In the second case, it’s better to use the name of the character one in a while. However, if you RP with a character of the same gender as yours, it’s necessary to do this. In the first case, this isn’t necessary, unless the other character is called ‘I’.

PaT stands for Past Time. This means that we’ll use the Past Time to RP. You write things as if they happened before (I was) and not as if they’re happening right now (I am).
Wrong: Ruby burns a tree.
Right: Ruby burned a tree.
I can’t give you a ‘better’ here, as only one way is right.

We’ll try to make longer posts here. Close to four lines is good.
Wrong/Less good: Ruby burned a tree. The tree fell on the ground. Ruby was happy.
Good: Ruby nearly growled at the tree. That tree stood in the way! Angered she burned the tree. It took a while, but in the end the tree fell on the ground. A black spot was the result of Ruby’s attack. Satisfied and happy, Ruby walked away. Finally!
Better: She stared at the massive tree in front of her. She nearly growled at the gigantic plant. Why did all the trees stand in the way? Ruby sighed. Very well then. She stood up, concentrated, and fired a big flame at the big tree. It took a while, but she didn’t give up. She had to do this, the tree should fall! In the end, the tree fell on the ground, with a black spot on it. This was the result of her attack. Satisfied and happy, Ruby walked away. Finally!
So it’s better to be more in depth and to use more description. More information at the tips.

Do think about your grammar and punctuations. It’s okay to make mistakes, as long as you are understandable.
Wrong: ruby buurnd a three dat waz a verry big three
Good: Ruby burned a tree. That was a very big tree.
I can’t give you a ‘better’ here, as only one way is right.

When you’d like to let your character talk, you should use quotation marks (“ ”). Then, it’ll look like this:
“I like to burn trees,” Ruby said.
When you’d like to let your character think, you should use [i.][/i.], but without the dots. Then, it’ll look like this:
I want to burn trees, Ruby thought.

The tips! Finally! What to do when you ran out of inspiration?
1) Put some small details in your story. For example, tell us how big that tree is, or how that beautiful flower smells.
2) Describe the world around you a little bit more. Where is your character standing? Upon a house, in a house, next to a house or is there no house near your character?
3) Use the history of your character. What has he or she done before? Did he/she eat or sleep before your story happened?
4) Say and think more. You can use the feelings of your character!
5) Use an NPC (Non Played Character). You can do a lot of things with an NPC!
Back to top Go down
https://sweettears.rpg-board.net

How to RP?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sweet Tears :: :Out of Character: :: General :: Explanations-
Jump to: